English Language qualifications
This page is for offer holders who have taken an English Language qualification and offer holders who have a conditional offer with an English Language requirement. It is part of the Christ's offer-holders section.
If your offer has an English language requirement, this is stated in the terms and conditions section of your offer letter. The IELTS Academic or the TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) scores that you will need to achieve are set out on the University website. and you will need to meet the required scores and send us the evidence by Friday 7 August 2020.
- If you have already taken an English Language qualification
- If you are taking IELTS Academic
- If you are taking the TOEFL Internet Based Test
- If you would prefer to meet your condition with one of the other listed qualifications
- English Language resources
- How to send your English Language results to Christ's
If you have already taken an English Language qualification
If you have already taken IELTS Academic, TOEFL or one of the other listed qualifications, please ensure that you send us your Score Report by 31 January if you did not send it as part of the application process.
- If you have already achieved the IELTS Academic or TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) scores required, and you took the test not more that two years before your course start date, we will be able to make a note that you have met this part of your offer.
- If you have not achieved the grades required by your offer, we would still like to receive your existing Score Report by 31 January, and we will be happy for you for you to do further work on your English Language and send us another Score Report when you have taken IELTS Academic, or the TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) again.
If you are taking IELTS Academic
If you are taking IELTS Academic, we ask both for an overall band score and a minimum score in each element (listening, reading, writing, speaking). You can read about how IELTS is scored and check our requirements here.
Please consult the IELTS website for the following details:
You must send us the Test Report Form for every sitting that you do (even if you have not yet met the required scores and will sit it again).
If you are taking the TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT)
Please consult the TOEFL website for the following details:
- About TOEFL
- How to register
- Note: please do not set Cambridge University as a destination, as your results would be sent to the central office rather than to Christ's College. Instead, see How to send your English Language Results to Christ's below.
- How to prepare
- What you need to know on the test day
You must send us the Score Report for every sitting that you do (even if you have not yet met the required scores and will sit it again).
- If you have already taken IELTS Academic / TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) at the time that you get your offer letter, please send your Test Report Form by 31 January 2020.
- If you have an English Language condition to meet as part of your offer, the deadline is 7 August 2020, however do bear in mind that this is the latest date at which you could meet the requirement. We recommend that you send it earlier than the deadline in your offer letter if possible. This is especially important if you will need a visa to study at Cambridge, as we will not be able to process your CAS until you have met all of the conditions of your offer including your English Language condition.
English Language resources
You may need to do further work on your English Language. Amongst resources that you may use in addition to the ones on the IELTS/TOEFL websites, the following online courses are designed for students taking English Language Tests.
- Inside IELTS: Preparing for the Test with the Experts
If you find one or more further test resources that you think it would be good for us to list here, we would appreciate it if you could send your suggestion to email@example.com
Once you have taken the relevant test, remember to keep working on your English! Further resources that will help you make a smooth transition to doing your academic work in English include:
- FutureLearn Course: English for Academic Study
- FutureLearn Course: English For Academic Purposes
- FutureLearn Course: First Steps - Learning English for academic purposes
- FutureLearn Course: Writing an academic essay - Learning English for academic purposes
- FutureLearn Course: Listening and presenting - Learning English for academic purposes
- FutureLearn Course: An Intermediate Guide to writing in English for University Study
NB. These resources may be helpful to look at even if we have not set you an English Language condition as part of your offer or you have already met your English language offer condition. If you find one or more further resources that you think it would be good for us to list here, we would appreciate it if you could send your suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to send your English Language Results to Christ's
STEP 1: Please read about receiving your results on the relevant website (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL). We need a copy of your Test Report Form (IELTS) / Score Report (TOEFL) and ask you to send this to us directly at Christ's College (rather than setting University of Cambridge as a destination).
STEP 2: Once you receive it, please scan your Test Report Form / Score Report and save it as a pdf file on a computer. If you need help with scanning, we recommend that you ask a friend or relative who has a scanner, or ask your school.
STEP 3: Please then compose your email to our address for sending documents: email@example.com.
The subject line should be in the format Subject (including Biological or Physical if Natural Sciences) - English Language qualification - FAMILY NAME First name
(Here's an example: for Li Min CHUA applying for Economics, the subject line would be Economics - English Language qualification - CHUA Li Min)
Please also put full details in the body of your email.
As usual, please don't include any questions or correspondence in the email - the email should be for sending your Test Report Form only.
STEP 4: Please don't forget to attach the pdf to your email! Then check the message and press send. We'll send a brief acknowledgement email when we process your Test Report Form / Score Report so that you know that we've received it safely. Many thanks!
If you miss the English Language grades that we asked for
Please send us your Test Report Form / Score Report (whatever you get) and we will then be able to advise you individually on what to do.
If you do more than one test sitting, note that we must recieve a Test Report Form / Score Report for every sitting that you do.