Reading suggestions for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
Here’s a suggested reading list for a general background to PBS. If we invite you for interview we don’t expect you to have read them all!
- Pinker, S (2011). The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined (Viking)
- Kahneman, D (2011). Thinking, Fast and Slow (Farrar, Strauss and Giroux)
- Hrdy, S (2011). Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding (Harvard University Press)
- Damasio, A. (2010). Self comes to mind: constructing the conscious brain. (Vintage Books)
- LeDoux, J (2003). Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are (Penguin)
- Eysenck, MW. & Keane MT. (2010) Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook (Psychology Press)
- Hogg, MA & Vaughan GM. (2009) Essentials of Social Psychology (Prentice Hall)
If you would like more suggestions, see the reading list in the FAQ's for prospective students and the reading lists on the Psychology Department website.