Join Christs Choir
**The choir currently has vacancies in all voice parts. If you are interested in auditioning for the choir, or just want to find out more, you can email Laura Dunkling at firstname.lastname@example.org, or David Rowland, the Director of Music (email@example.com)**
Christ's College Choir combines an excellent reputation and very high musical standard with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The Choir's manageable weekly schedule allows members to get involved in a range of other university activities.
The standard weekly schedule for choir members at Christ's runs as follows:
Wednesday: 6:00pm rehearsal
Thursday: 5:45pm rehearsal; 6:45pm evensong; 7:30pm formal dinner
Sunday: 4:15pm rehearsal; 6pm evensong; drinks and formal dinner following the service
The choir also sings twice-termly compline in small groups of around 8 singers.
How to join: Contact the Director of Music or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on joining the Choir as a singer or Organ Scholar.
Members of the Choir are selected by audition with the Director of Music. An audition will involve singing a prepared piece, a sight-reading exercise, and some aural tests. Commitment, potential and enthusiasm are essential, and whilst previous experience of choral singing is common, we welcome applications from singers who haven't had the opportunity to sing in a regular choir.
The choir's composition is normally around 7 sopranos, 6 altos, 4 tenors and 7 basses. These are approximate numbers as there are no fixed quotas.
Most choir members hold Choral Exhibitions, some awarded as a result of the Choral Trials, and others during the course of the academic year. There are no specific limits on the number of awards made at the Trials, and in the past Christ's has always had sufficient space for all candidates of appropriate vocal and musical ability.
Choral Exhibitions can be awarded to students in any subject. While it is expected that Choral Exhibitioners will participate fully in the College's musical life, the weekly schedule of rehearsals and services enables individuals to participate in other activities, including College and University sports teams, stage events and any number of operas, musicals and operas put on during term time.
Benefits of membership include:
- Vocal training with leading UK singers, paid for by the Choir. Current members study with Ghislaine Morgan, Nicki Kennedy and Alex Ashworth. Choral scholars receive four hours of vocal tuition in Michaelmas term, four hours in Lent term, and two hours in Easter term.
- Free formals after Thursday and Sunday services and additional feasts, drinks receptions and other events throughout the year.
- International travel: the Choir undertakes an extensive annual tour of up to three weeks. Read more here.
Recent destinations have included Singapore, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, and the United States.
- Concerts around the UK, including a regular series of Christmas concerts in St John's Smith's Square, St Martin-in-the-fields and a number of English Heritage properties.
- The chance to record CDs and broadcast.
The Choir has broadcast with BBC Radio 3, Radio 4, Classic FM and a number of international radio stations in recent years.
- A £100 annual honorarium for Choral Exhibitioners
The choir is touring Singapore and New Zealand in July 2019. Upcoming engagements include a performance of Mozart's Requiem in St Martin-in-the-fields and Christmas concerts in English Heritage properties as well as top London venues including St John's Smith Square.
The College has two Organ Scholars at any one time. They assist the Director of Music in the running of the Choir, accompany services and concerts, and, on occasions, conduct the choir. The current Organ Scholars are Nicholas Edwards and Edward Lilley.