This policy explains what information we gather when you visit the Christ's College central website, and explains how that information is used.
In common with most web sites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made of it (see below for more details). This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept indefinitely.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in the University. Data may be passed to the administrators of other computer systems to enable investigation of problems accessing this site or of system misconfigurations. Data may incidentally be included in information passed to contractors and computer maintenance organisations working for the University, in which case it will be covered by appropriate non-disclosure agreements. Otherwise the logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but those that are do not include information from which individuals could be identified.
[You should appreciate that a log is a record of what a server sees, not necessarily what was initially sent. If a request is sent via a proxy the log file will show the proxy's address. If someone has forged your address the log file will show your address]
A number of fill-in forms are provided on this site. The pages containing these forms include information on how data submitted on them will be processed and used.
This site may use web "cookies" as part of user authentication (login) and to store information needed by other facilities.To find out more about cookies and how to handle them please visit https://www.aboutcookies.org/.
This site will also run from time to time a behaviour analysis tool called Hotjar, that is used to collect information about visitors use of the site with the sole aim of improving their experience. Similar to Google Analytics it uses a tracking code on our website which communicates with a service in the EU (Ireland) and runs a script that captures specific data about each visit below
The following data is automatically logged for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request. Note that under some (but not all) circumstances it may be possible to infer from this the identity of the person making the request. Note also that the data recorded may be that of a web proxy rather than that of the originating client
- The username, when known during authenticated (logged in) access to the site
- The date and time of connection
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.)
- The number of data bytes sent in response
- Referring URL and domain obtained from the contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser
- Device type, operating system and browser type based on the content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser
- Geographic location
- Preferred language
- Mouse events (movement, location and clicks)
- Key presses
Logging of additional data may be enabled temporarily from time to time for specific purposes. In addition, the computers on which the web site is hosted keep records of attempts (authorised and unauthorised) to use them for purposes other than access to the web server. This data typically includes the date and time of the attempt, the service to which access was attempted, the name or network address of the computer making the connection, and may include details of what was done or was attempted to be done.
Information that is processed is:
- date and time when website pages were accessed
- device's IP address (captured and stored in an anonymized format)
- device screen resolution
- device type (unique device identifiers), operating system, browser type
- geographic location (country only)
- preferred language used to display the site
- mouse events (movements, location and clicks)
- referring URL and domain
- pages visited
Terms & Conditions
Please find our Terms & Conditions here.