A virtual introduction to the library for new undergrads and postgrads
COVID-19 means that this is a strange new academic year for everyone in College, including the library. We usually get to meet all new members in person through our introductory face-to-face tours, but of course this year is different. So instead we're providing some useful links to help you become familiar with the library, the library staff, and our procedures. If you have questions about any aspect of the library and its operations, please either come to the library (library staff are there from 9 a.m. until 5.15 p.m. on Mondays-Fridays), or send us a message at email@example.com.
For visiting Christ's College Library during COVID-19 please follow the link to our 8 step poster for safe library use.
We hope you'll find the following links helpful
1. because the number of available study spaces in the library has been reduced from 60 to 30, we set up a seat-booking system in Michaelmas Term, and are intending to use it again in Easter Term 2021. Here's some information about it:
- The booking system (called LibCal) is operational from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m., 7 days a week.
- You only need to book a seat if you are actually coming to the library to sit down and study. If you are coming to the library just to return or borrow books, then you do not need to book.
- Please use the link at https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/christs_studyspace to book a seat. You will need your Raven username and password to do this -- the same username and password that you use for your university e-mail, ending @cam.ac.uk.
- Seats are available on an hourly basis, and you can book several hourly slots at once if required. It's easy to cancel bookings if you find later than you don't need them.
2. Cambridge university libraries have produced a helpful video introduction to help you understand the three "levels" of libraries within the university. These are
- your college library;
- your faculty/department library; and
- the University Library.
The video can be found at: http://bit.ly/camlibsintro2020 You'll need your Raven username and password to access it -- the same username and password that you use for your university e-mail, ending @cam.ac.uk
Unfortunately, some Faculty and Department libraries are currently (as at the beginning of Michaelmas Term 2020) still closed due to COVID.
3. the college library staff have also created an introductory presentation specifically for the College Library. You can find this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0uvGUNRA4k, or -- for a version with plainer graphics -- at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOGmo23a74Q Please do take a look, as we've tried to include everything that we would normally tell you on our face-to-face library tours. There's also a fun, time-lapse version at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7LgWNoExw
4. in addition to printed books and journals, the university's libraries provide links to a vast amount of e-content (e-books, e-journals, and so on). There's another new video introduction to this content -- please click on the link at https://sms.cam.ac.uk/media/3299576.
5. do you need access to a book that isn't anywhere in Cambridge libraries? Use our Book Recommendation form at https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/content/recommend-book
6. the College has a number of printers, including several in the library. If you want to connect to these from your own laptop, you will need to download instructions as follows:
You will also need to set up a credit account with the printing system, which is called DS-Print. Follow the prompts at https://www.ds.cam.ac.uk/mydsprint/ to do this. You'll need your Raven username and password again -- the same username and password that you use for your university e-mail, ending @cam.ac.uk.
7. For finding books and other study materials, use the university libraries' online catalogue, "iDiscover". You can find an introduction to iDiscover at https://preview.tinyurl.com/iDiscoverIntro)
... and finally...
...A big welcome to you all, from librarians Amy, Celia and John. We look forward to getting to know you!