Section 1 - College Accommodation

Index to Section 1:

1.1 College Accommodation and Rooms in College Hostels

1.2 Allocation of Rooms

1.3 Normal Period of residence (NPR)

1.4 Rents

1.5 Caution Money

1.6 Payment Terms

1.7 Overdue rents

Appendix 1 - College Rooms

1.1 College Accommodation and Rooms in College Hostels

Christ's College can provide approximately 400 rooms (including hostels) for undergraduates, and approximately 50 rooms or flats for postgraduates. Of the Flats, some are suitable for couples. The majority of the College’s student accommodation is on the Domus site, but the College also has a number of outside properties in Cambridge which are let to both undergraduate and graduate students. All College accommodation, whether or not it is registered with ANUK as an HMO, is covered by this Code of Practice. The College has several rooms that have been specially adapted for disabled students. The College also rents some properties commercially for use as hostels for graduate students or in some cases, for 4th year undergraduates.

All Christ's College rooms should be fitted with:

Bed Bedside Table
Desk Desk Chair
Wardrobe Chest of Drawers
Bookcase Wastebin
Curtains or blinds

A complete inventory for each specific room will be supplied when the student first signs for the keys to that room. All faults or damage not already listed (burns, scratches etc.) are to be noted on the inventory.

1.2 Allocation of Rooms

Undergraduates. The allocation of undergraduate rooms in College and in College houses is the responsibility of the Senior Tutor, assisted by Accommodation Manager. New undergraduates are allocated accommodation in late August, after A level results are published. For other undergraduate rooms in College and in College hostels, the Senior Tutor holds a ballot, in each Lent Term. The College normally accommodates all undergraduate students in College, College houses or in College-controlled accommodation (eg rented from elsewhere) for the first three years of their residence.

Graduates. The allocation of rooms for graduates is the responsibility of the Senior Tutor assisted by the Accommodation Office.

For those students who wish to live out in private rather than college provided accommodation, advice can be provided by the Accommodation Office, the University Accommodation Service, the Cambridge University Students Union (CUSU) and the Graduate Union (GU). Tutors can also give advice and should always be consulted over contracts and any difficulties over relations with landlords.

1.3 Normal Period of residence (NPR)

1.3.1 Undergraduates. Residence in College and College hostels by undergraduates is limited to the NPR. The NPR is the fixed period that is covered by your Term's rent. The NPR are as follows:

Michaelmas Term : From the Tuesday of the week before Full Term at the earliest and departing on the Sunday after the end of Full Term at the latest.

Lent Term: From the Tuesday of the week preceding the start of Full Term at the earliest and departing on the Sunday after the end of Full Term at the latest.

Easter Term: From the Tuesday of the week preceding the start of Full Term at the earliest and departing on the Sunday following the end of full Term at the latest.

Dates of Full Term can be found HERE

You may gain access to your room after 12 noon on the first day of the NPR and you must vacate your room by 12 noon on the last day of the NPR.

If you wish to reside in College outside these fixed periods, you must obtain tutorial permission from your Tutor, at least a fortnight before either the last day of the current NPR or the commencment of the next NPR. It is recommended that you check with the accommodation office first to see what accommodation will be available. Depending upon the class of your room, you may not be able to stay in your own room beyond the end of term.

Any student who arrives back at College before the NPR without authority from their tutor, and expecting to be accommmodated, will be charged a £50 administration fee.

If permission is granted, you will be charged at a daily rate for this additional period, which may be higher than the pro rata termly rate. Application forms for accommodation outside the NPR are available from both the Accommodation Office and the Tutorial and Admissions Office.

Outside the NPR, you must ensure that your room has been cleared in accordance with the instruction for the category of your room, A B or C . Some rooms do have limited storage facilities, that may be used to store personal possession outside the NPR, but otherwise, there are very limited facilities within the College for storing personal possessions during vacations. Priority is normally given to overseas students for the use of this storage space.

Permission must be obtained from the Head Porter before storing any personal possessions and the College takes no responsibility for personal possessions stored in the College. Failure to remove possessions from rooms at the end of each period of NPR is unacceptable and will be reported to the Senior Tutor. If necessary, a removals company will remove and store items and this expense will be charged to the student concerned. The student may also be charged rent for the period when the possessions remain in the room.

1.3.2 Graduates Graduates' licences normally cover them for the majority of the calendar year, namely 1 October 201X to 31 August 201X+1. The period of the licence can be shorter than this period if required. Dates of occupation should be discussed with the Accommodation Office.

1.4 Rents

The rent that you pay covers the provision of all utilities. The rent for each room is set to reflect its size, facilites and category status. The termly rents can be obtained from the Accommodation Office. Overall, the current room rents are unrealistically low, in that the rents do not cover the full cost of providing residential accommodation. It is College policy to eliminate the subsidy by raising the overall rental income gradually by a sequence of annual increases as agreed with student representatives.

1.5 Caution Money

All students, whether graduates or undergraduates, occupying College accommodation will be charged caution money on their College bill for the Michaelmas term. The Accommodation Office or the admissions office can advise you on the amount of caution money to be paid and the current rate will also be shown in your licence agreement. The cost of any necessary repairs to the fabric of the accommodation, or to fixtures and fittings, which cannot reasonably be considered to be 'fair wear and tear', will be deducted from this sum. Caution money, less any deductions, will be refunded at the end of the licence.

1.6 Payment Terms

Rent is payable by students during their periods of occupation as follows:

1.6.1 Payment at the agreed termly rate is to be made to the College within 14 days of the bill being issued.

1.6.2 Occupation of accommodation outside the NPR must be authorised by the student's Tutor. The rent for any such period of occupation will be charged: At a daily rate for the room occupied for academic reasons. At 10% above the daily rate for non-academic reasons.

students should be aware that if they remain in occupation of their accommodation outside the NPR, without the permission of their Tutor, and without making arrangements with the Accommodation Office, they may become liable to the College for its reasonable losses (for example if the College is unable to honour a vacation conference booking) in addition to the rent due for their period of occupation.

If the agreement is lawfully terminated before the end of a period for which the student has paid rent, the College will only reimburse the student an amount of the rent in proportion to the remainder of that period during which the College has been able to re-let the accommodation.

The College is entitled to use or let the accommodation at any time outside the NPR.

1.7 Overdue Rents

If a student fails to pay their rent within fifteen days of the due date, the College may charge interest on the unpaid sum. The College also has the right to end the licence agreement and after the student's Tutor has been consulted, give the student one month's notice to vacate the room. If any student is in danger of not being able to pay his/her College Bill, it is the student's responsibility to consult his/her Tutor as soon as possible.


Maintained by Martin Spooner | Last updated Fri, 9 Sep 2016 - 10:33am