Professor Phillip King

CBE
PPRA
Honorary Fellow

Phillip King is a leading figure among the group of British sculptors known as the New Generation who came to critical acclaim during the mid-1960s. He was born in Tunisia and moved to Britain in 1945 where he studied at Christ's College. At Anthony Caro’s invitation, he studied sculpture at Central St Martins during the 1960s and went on to work as an assistant to Henry Moore. He has been a legendary tutor at London’s most distinguished art schools, including St Martins from 1959–1980 with Anthony Caro and Eduardo Paolozzi, and the Hochschule der Künste, Berlin (1979–1980). He was Professor of Sculpture at the Royal College of Art, London from 1980–1990, and was made Professor Emeritus at the College in 1990. King was elected Professor of Sculpture at the Royal Academy Schools, London in 1990, a post which he held until his election as President of the Royal Academy in 1999 (King was President until 2004). Phillip King has had several retrospective exhibitions; at the  Whitechapel Art Gallery, Hayward Gallery, Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Forte de Belvedere, Florence, and most recently at Le Consortium, Dijon in 2013. King was also commissioned to create work for Expo ’70 in Tokyo and represented Britain alongside Bridget Riley at the 1968 Venice Biennale.