It is with sadness that we announce that our Honorary Fellow, Professor Hugh Esmor Huxley MBE FRS, died on 25 July 2013 at his home in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. He was a Fellow of Christ's College between 1954 and 1956 and elected an Honorary Fellow in 1982.
Professor Huxley was a molecular biologist/physiologist, born in Birkenhead, Cheshire. Having worked on radar in World War 2 he received his BA from Cambridge in 1948 and then went on to do his PhD at Christ’s College, being the first PhD student to join the MRC unit for the Study of the Molecular Structure of Biological Systems. During his PhD he began his pioneering studies of muscle structure and function using X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. From the 1950s he was the central figure in developing the detailed structural basis of muscle contraction. After being awarded his PhD in 1952 he then turned to biophysics at MIT (1952-54) and after a few years at University College London in the later 1950s, he returned as one of the founding members of the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in 1962. He was Joint-Head of the Structural Studies Division from 1977 to 1987 and Deputy Director of LMB from 1979 to 1987. In 1987, he moved to the Rosenstiel Center at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts first as Director and then as Emeritus Professor.